Friday, July 5, 2013

On Becoming a Convinced Baptist

Within the past month, I've come to the realization that I need to be content where God has placed me.  Over the past few years I have studied and become more grounded in what I believe and why I believe it.  Through this process, I started identifying more and more with the Reformed Presbyterian Church General Assembly.  There are only 2 RPC churches in Texas that are 4 hours apart, and we live right in the middle of them; so joining either church did not seem very likely, although I had not ruled out moving north.  However, we have lived in the same city for the past 20 years, and barring a move of God (no pun intended), I don't think that will change anytime soon.

There are two reasons that I was leaning more to the Presbyterian side of the reformed faith:  (1) Many of the reformed resources are written by Puritans or Presbyterians, and (2) Calvinism is being rejected by the Baptists.  I became a Christian as an adult and always attended Baptist churches, but until recently, I had no conviction that credobaptism is the correct biblical view.  This is why I was able to consider a change to Presbyterianism which believes in paedobaptism.  Church polity is another difference, and I still don't have a conviction about that.

There are not many reformed church options in the city where we live (actually, I believe that there is just one); therefore, I have decided to embrace where God has placed us (& not wish that my "better" plan would come to fruition).  In Jim Savastio's sermon entitled, "A Reformed Baptist Perspective on Infant Baptism', he exhorted each member of his congregation to "be a convinced Baptist".  Even though he preached this sermon on 03/21/2004, it was exactly what I needed to hear this week.

To start this process, I've been replacing my Presbyterian oriented podcasts and blogs with reformed Baptist options.  I'll share those resources in my next post.  In addition, I'm reading Greg Nichols' Covenant Theology:  A Reformed and Baptistic Perspective on God's Covenants.  So far, it's been a slow read, and it looks like it will be one of those books that I will need to read twice before I really understand it.