Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Just a Pilgrim Passing Through

Al Mohler's recent blog post titled "It is the Price of Citizenship”?—An Elegy for Religious Liberty in America" stopped me in my tracks yesterday morning.  Religious persecution for Christians in the U.S. is looming on the horizon, and I can now see why the Puritans left the safety of England for the uncertainty of the New World; it wasn't necessarily for themselves, but for their descendants to follow.  As a mom of 3 godly young men (my youngest isn't that close to adulthood, but he tries), I understand the desire to provide a haven for your children so that you all can worship God as outlined in the Holy Bible.  However, according to the New Mexico Supreme Court, you now have to choose between freedom of religion or citizenship.  Given the choice, I choose, and will continue to choose, Christ above all things.

If you're not familiar with the case of the recent New Mexico Supreme Court decision, I'll briefly outline the details.  In 2006, the owners of Elane Photography refused to provide photography services for a same-sex ceremony in New Mexico.  Other photography companies in the area were willing to offer their services, and the "couple" did secure a photographer for their ceremony.  Notwithstanding, the "couple"  still decided to sue Elane Photography because they wanted all photography businesses to provide services for same-sex ceremonies.  It's important to note that same-sex marriage is illegal in New Mexico, but currently marriage licenses are being issued without recourse from the state attorney general.  The "couple" won the lawsuit and the 2012 appeal, and the 2013 New Mexico Supreme Court decision concurred that the owners of Elane Photography had violated the human rights of the same-sex "couple".

First of all, I'm very concerned that the New Mexico Supreme Court ruling denied the business owners protection under the First Amendment, which allows the New Mexico Human Rights Act (that includes sexual orientation) to usurp the Bill of Rights.  Secondly, New Mexico Supreme Court Justice Bosson insisted that business owners must compromise their religious beliefs for the good of the nation because that's that price of citizenship.

Wow...

Like the apostles Peter and John, my answer is that "We ought to obey God rather than men," (Acts 5:29).  Compromising my Christian beliefs is not an option.  As our culture spirals into blatant immorality, this stand may require more of a sacrifice in the future; this will be especially true for our boys if they want to own their own Christian businesses (or maybe even just profess Christ as an American citizen).  In light of all of this, I rest in the fact that God is sovereign and His word is truth.

Jesus said:  "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also," (John 14:1-3).