Thursday, October 3, 2013

2013 Founders' Conference Reflections, Cont'd.

Last week my family and I attended The Southern Baptists Founders' Conference Southwest held on September 26-28, 2013, at Heritage Baptist Church in Mansfield, Texas.  The conference theme was 'Being a Disciple of Jesus Christ'.  I posted my first set of notes here.

As I think about what was said and how to apply it to my life, I'll share the rest of my notes with you.

The Practice of Discipline in the Daily Life Presented by Dr. Tom Ascol

Self-denial is not optional for biblical Christianity--say 'yes' to Jesus as Lord and 'no' to yourself as lord.  Christianity is fought primarily in the soul as disciples war within themselves.  As a Christian, sin resides in you; therefore pursue godliness daily by practicing self-denial, self-control, and self-discipline.  The life of self-discipline begins in the mind by seeing how things really are in submission to the revealed will of God found in His word --> train passions to conform to the commandments of Christ with the Spirit's help by taking every thought captive because we are at war spiritually.  The process is synergistic.

The means of grace is vital for active discipleship.  There is no easy path; daily self-control focuses on the eternal glory of heaven and everlasting life.  The trophy of full consummation of salvation in Jesus Christ is imperishable.  Therefore, be passionate for Christ.  The cross is the only way to inexpressible joy; the prize is worthy of the pathway.

Law and Grace in Discipleship Presented by Dr. Fred Malone

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace," Romans 6:14.  This verses tells you how to think daily--sin shall not be your master.  It is not a command, but a fact because a Christian is united to Christ through the Holy Spirit that dwells in you.  The work of the law is written on your heart, (Rom. 2:15).  The sufficiency of Christ and the call of God on your life will lead you to obey God by keeping his commandments.

Dr. Malone's session was the last presentation on Friday night.  It had been a long day and his topic required more concentration than I had at that time (and I was confused by some of his terminology), so my notes are very brief.  I need to listen to his session again on Sermon Audio.  I'll post the link to the conference once the sessions are available on-line.