Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bible Reading Plan

As we approach 2014, I'm pondering how to schedule my daily Bible reading in light of my 'How to Read Your Bible' post.  Should I stay with what I'm doing now, or should I make a change?  I read the Bible completely through each year, but in accomplishing this goal, I usually follow a Bible reading plan that only requires the minimum amount of reading to finish in 12 months.  For me, this approach does not always help in reading comprehension or seeing the bigger picture presented in the Bible.  I do not read any other book little by little over the course of a year, so why should I read the Bible like this?  As Dr. Lloyd-Jones boldly exposed in my previous post, I'm also guilty of making my daily Bible reading an item to check off a list...

Therefore, I was intrigued by Dr. Shaw's approach of reading the Bible in chunks, which he posted this time last year.  Dr. Shaw estimated, based on average reading time, that the Bible can be read in 52.50 hours.  I copied his reading times into an excel spreadsheet and rounded them to the nearest quarter hour.  Then I grouped the books into sections that can be read from 5 to 7 hours, a week's worth of Bible reading.  I ended up with 10 groups, or 10 weeks, which means that I will read the Bible completely every 2.5 months by reading at least an hour each day.  Here's what the first cycle in 2014 looks like:

January 5 to 11
Genesis through Leviticus
January 12 to 18
Numbers through Joshua
January 19 to 25
Judges through 1 Kings
January 26 to February 1  
2 Kings through Esther
February 2 to 8
Job through Song of Solomon
February 9 to 15
Isaiah through Lamentations
February 16 to 22
Ezekiel through Zephaniah
February 23 to March 1
Haggai through Luke
March 2 to 8 
John through Colossians
March 9 to 15
1 Thessalonians through Revelation  

I'll reassess this plan in March to see if I need to make any changes or find a new approach.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth," (2 Tim. 2:15).