I've been listing to a teaching series on the Ten Commandments by Pastor Jeff Young of Grace Reformed Baptist Church in Bonham, Texas. On February 16, 2014, he preached on the proper worship of God based on the Second Commandment from Exodus 20:4-6 and showed how King Jeroboam led Israel into sin by not worshiping God properly, (1 Kings 12:25-33).
Pastor Young expounded the Regulative Principle of Worship, which states that the ordinances of worship are only found in the Bible, and looked at what God requires of us in the Second Commandment by forbidding us to:
- Decide within our own heart how to worship God
- Decide how to worship God based on the consensus of other people
- Say God's commands are too difficult to obey
- Use man-made things to represent God in worship
- Worship God wherever we please
- Worship God through a priest set up by man
- Substitute holidays devised by man's imagination for the day that God has made holy; such as celebrating Mother's Day, Father's Day, or a birthday on the Lord's Day
- Try to do by ourselves only what Jesus has accomplished on our behalf (i.e. prayer)
Therefore, we should only worship God by His Word through faith in Jesus Christ.
"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device," (Acts 17:29).