Friday, August 22, 2014

My Bible & Other Paraphernalia


I have finally found the perfect Bible and supplies for my personal and corporate Bible study, so I thought I would share them with you.

First, let's look at my King James Bible.  I have two that I actually use:  one to read at home & church and one to write in for my personal Bible study.  I purchased them from Local Church Bible Publishers in Lansing, MI.  My reading Bible is their 355 Hand Size Standard Bible.  I love the size (approx. 9" X 6"), the red edges, and the self-pronouncing text.  It is a beautiful, smythe-sewn Bible in black leather (cowhide).  I highly recommend this Bible.  My personal study Bible is their 400 Mid Size Note Takers Bible.  This Bible is also smythe-sewn in black leather, but it's a little bigger in size (approx. 10" X 7") with gold edges.  I like the fact that there is just one column of text per page which leaves a 2.5" margin for notes, but it doesn't include a self-pronouncing text.

I use the Pentel 8-Color Mechanical Pencil and the Pentel Graphgear 1000 Drafting Pencil (0.3 mm) in my Note Takers Bible.  I prefer using a colored pencil rather than a highlighter so that there's no bleed-through or wrinkling of the pages and a 0.3 mm drafting pencil to write so that my writing is small and neat.  I have always favored a pencil over a pen.

I also keep a separate journal for sermon notes, book quotes, favorite hymns, prayer requests, etc.  I purchased  my journal at our local Office Depot.  It's a 5.25" X 8.25" Foray journal with grid paper, elastic strap, and back pocket (similar to a Moleskine, but cheaper).  I like darker writing in my journal, so I use the Zebra M-301 Mechanical Pencil (0.5 mm).  In the back pocket, I keep my Staedtler Sketch Master Template so that I can make straight lines in my Note Takers Bible and journal.  I also use the template to make different shapes in my journal for emphasis or easy reference.  I skipped the first page of the journal to use as a table of contents and numbered the remaining pages.  I don't add every page, but if I take copious notes on one subject or copy quotes from a book, then I will add the subject title to the table of contents and note the page.

I also found a solid book on systematic theology from a Baptist perspective: Manual of Theology by John L. Dagg.  There are 8 books in Dagg's Manual of Theology, which correspond nicely to the eight colors in my Pentel 8-Color Mechanical Pencil.  Therefore, each book has its own color:
  1. Study of Religious Truth--Green
  2. Doctrine Concerning God--Light Blue
  3. Doctrine Concerning the Will & Works of God--Dark Blue
  4. Doctrine Concerning the Fall & Present State of Man--Brown
  5. Doctrine Concerning Jesus Christ--Red
  6. Doctrine Concerning the Holy Spirit--Pink
  7. Doctrine Concerning Divine Grace--Orange
  8. Doctrine Concerning the Future World--Yellow
I've placed a color legend in the front of my Note Takers Bible, and as I come to a verse that supports a listed doctrine, I underline it in the appropriate color.  I'm also outlining the books in my journal and including the Scripture references.

It has been a long road, but I'm very pleased with this set-up and thankful that I have the time to dedicate myself intensely to the Word of God.

***
"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which ye also are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly in all wisdom," (Col. 3:15-16a).