I'm continuing my look at Jeremiah Burroughs' "Of Walking With God" found in his book Earthly-Mindedness. Please see my introduction and Chapters 1-2 summary here.
In Chapter 3 Mr. Burroughs shows how the soul is brought to walk with God:
- Every one by nature goes astray from God. God works, though, to bring the soul to walk with Him.
- The Lord manifests to the soul the way of life, see Isa. 30:21.
- The Lord makes peace between himself and a sinner.
- God renders Himself lovely to the soul.
- God sends His Holy Spirit to guide the soul to Himself and to guide it in walking with Himself.
- Christ the Son of God takes the soul and brings it to God the Father as the Spirit leads. No one who has ever been a sinner can walk with God unless Jesus Christ walks together with him.
In my next post I will look at the nine particulars of walking with God from Chapter 4.
"And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him," (Gen. 5:24).