Thursday, October 15, 2015

Ecumenical Disharmony

Many of the books that I review on my blog come through crossfocusedreviews.com. As part of receiving the free book, I agree to post my review on my blog as well as on amazon.com. Occasionally, I will receive feedback from my blog readers, but most of the negative comments I receive are responses to my book reviews posted on the Amazon website. Therefore, I have a series of blog posts that I've labeled Countering Criticism where I evaluate the validity of the negative feedback I receive. Today, I would like to look at a comment from a poster named B.J. Foxx regarding my book review on The Christian Life. You can read my original review here.

On October 6, 2015, B. J. Foxx says:

"The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith on baptism is not going to agree with the Lutheran confession of faith. Since the author is a Lutheran, that should be expected. Lutherans believe 'He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying.' (Titus 3:5-8)"

First, I would like to point out that Mr. Hein did not promote his book as a Lutheran resource; he promoted it to Christians in general.  In addition, as a Christian, I am not required to read The Christian Life based on the theological view of the author.

As I've stated before on my blog, I don't have to conform my beliefs to the author's definition of terms in my reviews, but I can compare and contrast what is written to the Bible and to what others have written regarding the same subject.  I meet the author on his own terms when I quote his writing, then I make my assessment based on what God's Word says.  I also contrast the author's propositions to The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith because it succinctly states and biblically supports the points I am trying to make.  My review is based on the author's biblical arguments, not his Lutheran label.

***
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth," (2 Tim. 2:15).